Monday, November 21, 2005

In Defense of Being Shallow (the television edition)

A quick way to get me to walk away from a new conversation (or at least to mentally check out of it) is to hear the words "I don't really watch a lot of TV." That statement is usually accompanied by a look of slight disdain and a turning up of the nose and an air of moral superiority. It rarely means the person doesn't have time to watch TV, because I've found that if you want to watch TV, you always have the time. And I've also found that people who don't have a lot of free time for TV watching, but would if they did, rarely go on and on about it at parties or on first dates or other occasions of awkward and weird getting-to-know-you conversation.

The people who "don't really watch a lot of TV" usually have a pretty significant judgment about the people who do. TV watching to them is usually equated with the death of civilization, or at the very least, a significant reduction in brain cells. They think we all have better things we could be doing or should be doing with our time than watching TV.

It's hard to argue with them, because in theory they are right. (In theory communism is also a great idea, too . . . but that doesn't make it practical.) I'm sure there is a young girl I could be a "big sister" to, or an organization that could use my volunteer hours in some way. And I'm certainly not knocking people who selflessly give their free time to "causes". (Clearly I carry some guilt about not being one of those people, or I wouldn't even bother writing this, would I?)

But this is what I know. At the end of a long day I know how I need to spend my time in order to get through another long day tomorrow. And I don't think there's any shame in going home to retrieve the soap operas off my DVR and curling up with a good melodrama to wash away the stress of the day. I don't think there's anything wrong with looking forward to Lost or getting giddy thinking about the newest episode of Veronica Mars. Call me shallow, and many do, but the escape of watching other people's problems (even if they're fake and made up for my enjoyment) crafted into engaging television is my favorite part of the day.

And just like I don't turn my nose up when someone mentions that they volunteer at the library or go to a Bible study or attend poetry readings with their free time, I'd appreciate a little reciprocal kindness in regard to my "hobby." I don't want to have to whisper about it anymore like it's a cocaine habit. I don't want to have to ferret out fellow TV addicts with secret knocks and code words anymore. In the past few years I've "outed" a number of closeted TV lovers, grateful to finally have someone else to talk about their favorite soap or comedy or reality TV show with.

Shallow may not save the world, but it just may save my job and my sanity. I doubt I will be receiving any lifetime achievement awards for my dedication to Arrested Development, but that's okay. So stop treating me like I have some sort of disease. You have your time wasters, and I have mine. Just because you don't do it doesn't make it wrong. And just because so called "intellectuals" don't encourage it, doesn't make it stupid.

3 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

A friend of mine who is getting his doctorate in Linguistics at Purdue once said, "Everyone is entitled to a couple of vices; I'll take TV for both of mine."

How are you taking the cancellation of Arrested Development?

7:46 PM, November 22, 2005  
Blogger Ellen said...

karen watches HGTV on saturday nights.

10:20 AM, November 23, 2005  
Blogger Daniel said...

She's probably hoping to see strippers.

6:49 AM, November 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home