Sunday, January 22, 2006

Some random thoughts

It's been awhile since I've written. I'm sure my reader (and notice I use the singular) is very disappointed. So I thought I'd compile a list of thoughts I've randomly had lately.

1. I've tried to like Lorelei Gilmore and I just can't. I started watching the Gilmore Girls somewhere mid-fourth season. Now, ABC Family plays reruns everyday and I happened to catch season one episode one during Thanksgiving Break, and have been TiVo-ing and watching ever since. I always thought maybe the reason I didn't like Lorelei was because I hadn't caught the special mom-kid bond from the beginning of the show. But now that I have, I have to say, I still don't like Lorelei. She's very self-absorbed, and I feel like we're supposed to agree with her and see the show from her perspective. But it's a perspective I don't really respect. PLUS, I've read in various places and forums that the actress who plays her is a bit of a diva and that she doesn't like Scott Patterson (Luke) and throws a tizzy everytime they have to kiss and such. Which, I must say, doesn't help me like the character any better. Just a completely useless thought, but it's one I've had recently and so there you go.

2. Veronica Mars comes back on Wednesday from its month long (it seems like it may have been longer) hiatus. I feel like a long lost friend is coming to visit. I'm excited. And that makes me sad for myself.

3. I bought a treadmill. I realize it's been awhile since I've been running, but the speed on this treadmill seems faster than the speed on treadmills of previous experiences. Is that possible? Or am I getting old and fat and now can't keep up? Probably that.

4. I really hate Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee on the Food Network. Oh, she bugs me. She's so pleased with herself. And I'm no food snob. I'm not above putting cream of mushroom soup in something. But the stuff she comes up with as time savers seem ridiculous and an insult to food and people who eat it everywhere. (For instance, using frozen chopped onions. Come on. Does it really take that long to dice an onion? Or using canned potatoes in a potato salad? Ick). Also, everything she makes is f'ntastic. That's how she says it. Between Semi-Ho Sandra and Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals, my hate of perky food people is really revving up.

5. A little praise, however, goes out to the Food Network show Iron Chef America. LOVE IT. It's hard to explain why. It's food sport. Truly. Watch and see.

6. If Angelina Jolie walked by me in real life I think I would hit her. Lest we forget, this woman carrying Brad Pitt's baby used to wear a vile of her former husband's blood around her neck and got grossly close to her brother at the Oscars a few years back. And no, Angelina, your recent campaign to become a saint will not make me forget it.

7. My soaps are all starting to bore me. This is a sad day for me. Am I growing? Becoming a better person? I doubt it. I think the plots are just all seeming stale and repetitive.

8. I love the Japenese Pan Noodles at the semi-fast food restaurant Noodles.

9. There haven't been very many good romantic comedies made recently. I love a good romantic comedy. Pretty Woman was on last night and it reminded me we don't get a lot of good "everything works out well in the end and you want it to because it warms your heart in an inexplicable way" movies anymore. Instead there are horrible things like Hostel and Saw. Or funny fart humor movies (which are also good times in their own way, but rarely romantic). I can watch Sleepless in Seattle or Notting Hill or My Best Friend's Wedding over and over again. Which, I suppose, is akin to admitting I watch soap operas. At least I'm staying true to form.

10. I have a crush on the new Bachelor. There I said it. And I swore I wouldn't get sucked in again.

11. I feel like I should say something very smart and insightful to make up for the previous 10 shallow thoughts. But, my reader knows me better than that anyway. . .

6 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

Do you like Travis because he could be Vartan's brother? I caught it for the first time tonight, ABC had two back to back. I actually like a new show on Food Network: Ham on the Street, the host is fun and they do fun stuff with people and food. One thing I don't care for with the way Food Network bills the new Iron Chef USA is they focus on the people and not the theme food that the chefs need to best articulate with their dishes. Whenever I check the info on the show with my DirecTV remote, it says who the chefs are and not what the food is. Seems to me your "random thoughts" were all about TV. They say you get a more accurate indicator of outdoor walking on a treadmill if you have a 3% grade. So am I your only reader or is Scott?

12:42 AM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Angela said...

Well, you and Scott are my readers, I guess. But if I had said readers plural, the joke would've been lost. Ya dig?

I haven't been watching Alias. I think that's what you are talking about. After they killed off Vaughn and Garner married Affleck the whole thing bugged me and Alias was dead to me.

I think they do that with the secret ingredient (not putting it on the DirecTV listing) because they are trying to build the suspense about the secret ingredient. I agree about the focus being too much on the people. Word.

I don't think my random thoughts were ALL about TV. The Jolie punch? Totally a personal attack.

11:34 AM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Daniel said...

Points taken, and I have never watched an Alias episode all the way through, but I still think Travis looks like Michael. So was Scott or I saccrificed to the joke's integrity?

10:11 PM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger Angela said...

Travis is the Bachelor's name! I just got that. Isn't that sad? He's just pretty. I don't think about his name. :) Okay. I'm slow.

I think I'll have to say that I sacrificed Scott for the sake of the joke, since you are clearly my reader, as you are my most faithful commentor. So strong work, reader. You have earned your rightful place.

12:19 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger Scott said...

I read too, just take more time to do it.

Have you seen Ham on the Street on Food Network? Daniel turned it on and it's a lot of fun. I don't think I actually learn how to cook from it, but it's amazingly entertaining.

Also, I tried two dishes at Noodles then gave up on the place. They seem to insist on making food sans seasoning.

See you Sunday.

12:51 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger Scott said...

Oh, and on the Romantic movies subject, I think that politics and economics greatly influence the movies released. Right now we're into escapism, lots of horror, fantasy, and superheros. With Syriana and Jarhead we seem to be moving into war more and dealing with current affairs, but there's still a lot of escapism going on.

Now, why inspiring romances aren't in this escapism catagory, I'll never know. I've seen plenty of inspiring movies lately, I even have a folder on the hard drive called, "inspiring." But none of them are very romantic. Still, Ladies in Lavendar, Thumbsucker, In Good Company, The Other Side of Heaven, Walk on Water, etc. But none of them are based on a romantic relationship. Infact, the only inspiring romantic movies I've seen lately featured gay relationships, but the more I think about it, I think those were often products of the mid 90s too.

1:40 PM, January 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home